Air Plant Tillandsia Trio - Sea Urchin Ceramic Pot Set (1.5 - 2.5" dia shells) + Spray Bottle
Want to start your day with a smile? When we designed these unique sea urchin shell air plant pot sets - we all felt like proud parents of our new extended family. If only raising kids was this easy! Our goal was to have a fun and beautiful way to display and care for our new babies. The set includes three 1.5 - 2.5" diameter natural sea urchin shells (variations may include white, pink, or light green), three air plants (tillandsia), and a perfectly sized spray bottle. We've provided a variety of air plants too - including one brach abdita tillandsia, one ionantha rubra tillandsia, and one caput medusae tillandsia. While air plants grow best on rocks, trees, stones, gravel, or just about any place except the ground, these sea urchin planters let your air plants take center stage and provide a safe and cozy home for them to grow. To care for these unique and exotic tropical beauties is about as easy as looking at them – just mist them with the included water sprayer a few times each week and give them an occasional bath and that's all there is to it. Now if only someone would do that to us... To get started, simply pop the air plants into the hole inside the sea urchin shells and you’re good to go. Place these tropical plants indoors anywhere - on your coffee table, desk, window sill, porch, bathroom countertop, kitchen table, or office credenza. They do like bright indirect light so don't hide them in a closet or put them on the dashboard of your car. These tropical air plants are also great outdoors or just about anywhere you want to smile when you look at them.
Characteristics and traits of an Air Plant (Tillandsia)
- Scientific Name: Tillandsia Bromeliaceae
- Genus: Tillandsia
- Family: Bromeliaceae
- Common Name: Air Plant
- Outdoor Zones: 9-12 or ANY zone as an inside plant
- Grown In: Inside & Outside
- Type: Perennial; multiannual; Each plant may produce one to multiple pups which grow into mature plants!
- Mature Heights: 2-8"
- Mature Widths: 2-8"
- Plant Heights when Shipped: 2-4"
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Flower: Possible - Small, but vibrant pink and purple flower
- Foliage: Brach abdita tillandsia - green array of wide v shaped leaves (2-3"). Ionantha rubra tillandsia - Silvery green stalks (1-2"). Caput medusa tillandsia - wild looking pointy and bending leaves (3-4").
Plant Care and Advice for Air Plants (Tillandsia)
- Grown In: Inside & Outside
- Light Requirements: Bright indirect light to partial shade
- Water Requirements: Mist with water (preferably filtered, bottled, or rain water – NOT distilled) two to three times per week. Remove and place them in a bowl of water every few weeks for 30 minutes.
- Drought Tolerance: Good
- Temperature: 55-90 degrees is ideal, but can tolerate lower and higher temps
- Air Purification: Excellent - removes over 6 different airborne pollutants
- Toxicity: Non-toxic
- Fertilizer: Bromeliad fertilizer 17-8-22 or miracle grow diluted with water and sprayed on twice a month to help promote blooming or reproduction
- Container Friendly: Yes - Be sure it drains well
- Planting: When you first unpack your air plants, soak them in filtered or bottled water for about 30 minutes to get them acclimated. Be sure that any container you keep them in has excellent drainage and will not allow water to accumulate as this will rot your air plant. Do not replant in soil (they are called air plants for a reason).
- Plant Care: Tillandsia are quite different from other house plants. They are super hardy and do not need much attention. Do not plant them in soil (they are called air plants for a reason). Give them bright indirect light. The more humid the location, the more light they can tolerate. They love humidity, so spray mist them with filtered, pond, or bottled water two to three times a week. Remove them from their container and soak them for 30 minutes in water every few weeks, or more often if they are in a dry location. If the tips of the leaves begin to turn brown, or if your air plants become soft or wrinkled, then this may be a sign that they need a good soaking. While fertilization is not needed, you can use a bromeliad fertilizer 17-8-22 or miracle grow diluted with water and sprayed on twice a month to help promote blooming or reproduction.
- Expert Advice: Indoors and Outdoors: They are super hardy and do not need much attention. Give them bright indirect light - the more humid the location, the more light they can tolerate. They love humidity, so spray mist them with filtered, pond, or bottled water two to three times a week.