Queen of White Thread Agave (Century Plant)
While "Queen of White Thread" may sound like a character in "Game of Thrones", one look at this plant and the name will make total sense. Adhering to the typical burst agave shape, the foliage on this plant is dark green with pale green margins. The leaf is narrow and sword shaped with unique curly white fibers that, hence the name, look like frayed white thread. Queen of White Thread Agaves are quite hardy rare tropical plants that can be purchased now at our online shop.
Characteristics and Traits of the Queen of White Thread Agave (Century Plant)
- Scientific Name: Agave Schidigera
- Genus: Agave
- Family: Asparagaceae
- Common Name: Queen of White Thread Agave
- Outdoor Zones: 8-10 or any zone as an inside plant
- Grown In: Inside & Outside
- Type: Perennial; monocarpic rosettes
- Mature Height: 18-24"
- Mature Width: 12-15"
- Plant Height when Shipped: 8-9"
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Flower: After 15-20 years, it grows a 10' spike with red and purple buds, then the plant dies.
- Foliage: Dark green leaves with sharp points and variegated with beautiful white margins. The leaves are lined with thin curly white filifers (threads) which give it a distinctive and gentle appearance.
Plant Care and Advice for Queen of White Thread Agaves
- Grown In: Inside & Outside
- Light Requirements: Full Sun
- Water Requirements: Minimal. Water more in late spring and summer.
- Drought Tolerance: Excellent
- Temperature: Prefers 50-95 degrees, but can tolerate short duration of cold to 15 degrees
- Air Purification: Excellent
- Toxicity: Can be toxic if ingested
- Fertilizer: Apply an all-purpose liquid fertilizer a couple times per year during the spring and early summer
- Container Friendly: Yes - Be sure it drains well and that container diameter is larger than plant spread
- Planting: Indoors: Use a quick draining cactus or succulent soil mix or any sandy or gritty soil mixture. Outdoors: Plant in the ground or a container in a well drained sunny location, preferably in a sandy or gritty soil.
- Expert Advice: Agave love full sun. They do not need a lot of attention and should be watered sparingly. If outdoors, minimal to no water is needed in cold winter months. Be sure that the area you plant has excellent drainage - gritty or sandy soil work best. Wear Gloves - these plants have sharp leaves that be rather dangerous.
GET FREE SHIPPING when you buy any 3 or more plants!
That's right - As soon as your shopping cart contains any 3 plants, your shipping is FREE! Eligible for ground shipped orders going to the same address only.
GET FREE SHIPPING
when you buy any 3 or more items!
That's right - As soon as your shopping cart contains any 3 items, your shipping is FREE! Eligible for ground shipped orders going to the same address only.
And if you only order one or two items, shipping is just $7.50 per item!
WE TAKE SHIPPING SERIOUSLY
... SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO
- We ship orders out of our nursery on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- If your order arrives by Tuesday night, we'll get it out within 24 hours, otherwise it will go out the following Monday.
- We ship using UPS.
- Depending on your location, you should receive your plants within 2-7 days from the date we ship them. Most orders average 2-3 days.
- Our system automatically emails a notification to you with shipping and tracking information as soon as we ship your plants. Be sure your email is entered in correctly when you are checking out, this is the main cause for not getting notified. If you do not received your order, please email us at Happiness@TropicalPlants.com.
Changing your delivery address
If you want to change the delivery address of your order and it has not already left our greenhouses, we will do our best to modify the delivery. Please send us an email to: Happiness@TropicalPlants.com. No guarantee, but we will try our best.
If the order has already shipped, please go to UPS.com or Fedex.com. Sign up there to make changes to delivery addresses.
Packages arriving in bad condition
On occasion, UPS and FedEx may handle some packages a bit too rough for your plant's liking. Please open your package immediately and document any damage with your camera. Call us at 800-668-3358 or email us at Happiness@TropicalPlants.com (preferably with your photos) and let us know what happened. Also refer to our Guarantee.
If you need us to hold an order for you, we can for a short time. In the warm months we can only hold orders for a week or two. The plants grow so fast they can become too large to ship very quickly. In the Winter things grow a lot slower and we hold orders due to bad weather a lot better. So if you are not going to be home the week you order, just drop us an email and we will be glad to hold your order.
Do you ship all year long? Yes! In the cold Winter and hot Summer months we check each order destination to be sure the temperature is safe to ship your live plant. When the temperature borders on the "too cold" to ship side, we may choose to ship your plants with a heat pack at no extra charge. If the temperature is still "too cold" to ship, we will hold your order in the warmth of our greenhouses until we can find a safe window of shipping weather and you will be notified via email.
Do you ship with heat packs? No need to request one. We will check the weather in your area and add one if the temperature is below safe shipping levels.
Do you charge extra for heat packs? No.
What do I do if my plants are damaged by the cold? Please take good photos of the box, packing materials and the plants and send them to: Happiness@TropicalPlants.com.